Cities For Cycling
In April 2023, we met with Cities for Cycling (CFC) and accepted their proposal to sponsor the project "Cycle into History and Art" with great enthusiasm.
CFC is implementing a series of actions with the aim to promote the use of bicycle and the development of cycling tourism in Greece. Among its priorities is to create a platform for exchanging bicycling knowledge and experiences between Greece and European cities.
The organization was founded in 2013 in Athens and from then it provides advisory services to the central government and the municipalities, while raising awareness in society and lobbying for cycling in Greece.
CFC soon became an official member of the European Cyclists Federation (ECF) and it was recognized as the National Coordinator for Eurovelo in Greece in 2019. Later, in 2022, this was transformed to the National Coordination Center for Eurovelo, where -apart from CFC- the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, the Ministry of Tourism, and the Central Union of Municipalities in Greece (KEDE) are also members.
About Cycle into History and Art project
The purpose of this project is to demonstrate the importance of having bicycle parking spots at museums, galleries, and other cultural destinations. It will also give directions for safe and easy connections between these places. By promoting the benefits of bicycle parking at museums and galleries, it intends to address the following five pillars:
1. Sustainability: Encouraging more people to ride bikes can help reduce carbon emissions and support sustainable transportation.
2. Accessibility: Providing bicycle parking spots makes cultural destinations more accessible for people who use bikes as their primary mode of transportation.
3. Health and well-being: Riding a bike is a healthy and enjoyable way to get around and, having bicycle parking, encourages more people to incorporate physical activity into their daily routine.
4. Community building: Biking is a social activity that can bring people together and create a sense of community.
5. Economic development: By promoting bike tourism, we can support local businesses and promote economic growth in the surrounding areas.
The project will be implemented between May and November 2023.